“How do I really start my own online business?” This is a question I hear pretty often. Recently I found myself saying, “Well, it’s pretty simple. You just need to…” and then I heard myself spewing out a long list of stuff that was anything but simple.
Clearly I needed a simpler, more cohesive answer to this question. That’s what this episode is all about.
- If you enjoy the podcast, I would consider it a great favor if you subscribe (and leave a review) in iTunes. This helps new people discover the show. A big thanks to Ben Wally and Matt McWilliams for giving us a review on iTunes last week.
- I’m speaking at the Platform Conference in November. Register using this link, and as you check out enter the promo code RAY to save $100 on your ticket.
Tip Of The Week
This week I’m recommending another book, Ryan Holiday’s The Obstacle Is The Way.
In life we are often frustrated by the obstacles we face. Throughout history, there has been a different way of viewing obstacles. A way that was familiar to John D. Rockefeller, Amelia Earhart, Ulysses S. Grant, and Steve Jobs. A belief that the obstacle is not in the way, but that it is the way.
The philosophy behind this belief was articulated by the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, who struggled to define the way of excellence in any circumstance. In this book, Holiday spells out in simple language that very philosophy.
“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.” — Marcus Aurelius
What do you trust God with? Over the last few weeks, my life has been deeply impacted by an insight I received from my wife Lynn. In this section of the show, I explain the insight and how to put it to work in your own life.
Feature Segment: How To Really Build An Online Business
- The Right Mindset. This is the crucial foundation you must build on if you want a sustainable business.
- Something To Say Or Sell (Book & Speech). You must find your own Unique Wisdom Message, and distill that into a Signature Book, Signature Speech, and Signature Product Line.
- “Platform” Website. These days we don’t wait to be invited to the platform, we build our own.
- Email List. Your most important asset is your email list, and the relationship you cultivate with those people.
- Social Media System. It’s crucial to find a way to market with Social Media without allowing it to consume your time.
- Content. The currency of marketplace preeminence is the creation and distribution of valuable content that solves a problem people actually have.
- Traffic. A store with no people in the door is a store that soon will be no more.
- Conversion. You must convert browsers into buyers if you want to produce profits.
- Cash Register. The simple but vital matter of how you will be paid.
In the audio, I explore each of these in depth, and provide the actual resources I use and recommend for each part of the system.
Here are links to the products and services I mentioned in this episode.
Content Creation and Other Training
- Rapid Writing System. Our training program that teaches you how to write and publish your book in 30 days or less.
- How to Profit From What You Already Know. Our comprehensive course on building a business based on your knowledge, experience, and wisdom.
- 3-Day Live Intensive. Our 3-day seminar where I share the very latest tactics and tool that are working right now, today.
- Dreamstorm Workshop. Currently our most exclusive training, where I personally help you discover your Unique Wisdom Message, and turn that into a book, speech, and integrated product suite. (Limited seats available for the July 8-10 event, click here to apply. Acceptance not guaranteed.)
- Platform. The book by Michael Hyatt that is a must-read.
- Platform University. A highly recommended membership community.
- WordPress. Framework for building your web site. Just use it.
- Bluehost. This is our recommended hosting company.
- Get Noticed! Theme. The WordPress theme I currently use and recommend.
- Studiopress. Very reliable, highly recommended themes for WordPress.
- Aweber. Email marketing software service.
- Mailchimp. Email marketing software service, free for the first 2,000 subscribers.
- InfusionSoft. Handles your email marketing, customer relationship management, and commerce (shopping cart).
Conversion and Cash Register
- Rapid Copywriting. Our course that teaches how to write sales copy fast & easy, including templates.
- Writing Riches. My book about sales copy.
- Wishlist. Plugin that turns your WordPress site into a members download area, or full-fledged membership site.
- LeadPages. Easy software for making landing pages of all kinds.
- Paypal. Take payments online.
- PowerPay. Accept credit cards directly on your site.
Other Recommended Sites
What To Do Now
Here are some steps you can take to put this week’s episode content to work for you:
- Review my 9-item checklist for building your online business and determine what you’re still missing.
- Decide what the next logical step is you can take to fill in your first gap – and take that action immediately.
- Schedule the remaining actions over the next 90 days.
Get The Transcript
Question: What part of the system do you still need to fill in to make your business complete? Click here to leave your comments.