Stories have a way of sticking with us. The world of marketing is changing around us, and those businesses that don’t invite their customers into a heroic story will soon find themselves forgotten.
If you’re tired of your marketing having the same affect as a monkey yelling into a bullhorn, then you’re listening to this podcast at exactly the right time. In this episode my guest Don Miller is going to introduce you to a roadmap that will clarify your message and draw customers to you like a magnet.
Click here to download or listen to this episode now.
If you’re like most people, you were raised with an understanding of The Golden Rule, “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 7:12)
Regardless of your belief system, you have to admit that this is a pretty solid idea. But does it apply to governments as well as individuals? In this episode Sean and I have an provocative discussion that is sure to raise the hackles of more than a few people.
Tip of the Week
We’ve discovered the greatest camera ever made. Pretty bold statement, right? If you’re a content creator who relies on outstanding video (YouTubers I’m looking at you) then this camera is going to change your world.
With this camera you can take stunningly sharp videos and crisp photos with one device. The mirrorless frame is lightweight for easy travel, and the 20.3-megapixel technology delivers on clarity. We go into a whole geeky discussion about this inside the episode, but suffice it to say that this camera is a photographic rock star!
Feature Presentation: “Building A Storybrand with Donald Miller”
Donald Miller is the CEO of StoryBrand and every year helps more than 3,000 business leaders clarify their brand message. His audiences are challenged to lean into their own story, creatively develop and execute the story of their team, and understand the story of their customers so they can serve them with passion. Don’s thoughts on story have deeply influenced leaders and teams for Pantene, Ford/Lincoln, Zaxby’s, Chick-fil-A, Steelcase, Intel, Prime Lending and thousands more. Combined, Don’s books have spent more than a year on the New York Times Bestsellers list.
Here are some snippets from our conversation:
- If you confuse you lose – Why asking your customer to focus on more than one idea is killing your business (17:49)
- Even a caveman can do it – Why the “Grunt Test” is important and how you can use it to test your marketing in five seconds or less (19:22)
- Accidentally ignoring the important – How story plays such an important role in our businesses and why it’s so often ignored (22:05)
- Using resistance as a compass – Why your insecurities and fears can be used as a guide to the life you desire most (24:09)
- The Storyteller’s Formula – What movies can teach us about making marketing matter (26:15)
- Clarify to amplify – How the human brain processes story and how you can use that revelation to multiply the results in your business (28:38)
- Survive and thrive – What you need to know about the human brain, and how that knowledge can cause your message to stand out in the marketplace (30:37)
- The making of a President – What the results of recent elections can teach us about the power of story when used correctly…and incorrectly (33:55)
- It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it – How using the proper framework can transform your marketing from sad to successful (36:07)
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
- The Greatest Camera Ever Made
- Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
How To Help
Subscribe to the show through Apple Podcasts and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show.