Despite the mythology that says email marketing is dead, it’s still the number one way stuff gets sold on the Internet.
Bottom line: if you want to succeed marketing online, you’re going to have to use email.
If it works so well, why does it seem so hard for many companies?
Here are five great ways to mess up your email marketing:
- Make it look like an ad. That’s a surefire way to to get your email deleted right away.
- Write using the “royal we”. After all, human beings write in the first person.
- Make your email all about you and your product. That way it won’t be interesting at all to the reader.
- Assume the reader was waiting to get your email. That way you can skip providing any real content or value and just get right to the selling.
- Forget the state your reader is in when they check email. Otherwise, it will occur to you that what they were looking for was communication from a friend, something inspiring, something entertaining, or even something profane.
Of course, I hope that you pick up on the fact if you want your email marketing to succeed you should do the exact opposite of these five things.
But I felt like it might be a good idea to point that out.
Just in case.