What if I told you there is a power source you can tap into that would make you unbeatable? Undefeatable? Invincible to the problems that confront you in your daily life?
What if I revealed that “secret power source” to you in this very podcast… Fully and completely… And you were never the same again?
That is my goal for our 52nd episode of the Ray Edwards Show.
Here’s what else is up in this week’s podcast episode:
- $460 device now available on your iPhone for 99 cents.
- Why your problem – whatever it is – is never about the problem.
- Podcast birthday wishes and surprises.
- Plus, our feature presentation… The Unbeatable You.
- My conference, the 3-Day Live Intensive, is April 5-7 in Phoenix. Get your early-bird ticket discount right now – click here.
- What happened to Spiritual Foundations Podcast?
- Get your questions (and plugs) in for next week’s episode using the voicemail tab on the website or the phone at (509) 713-2679.
Would you like to have me speak at your event or church? I am accepting a limited number of engagements for 2013. Click here to visit my speaking page and get details on my availability.
Tip Of The Week
Large LED countdown clocks are a staple of the broadcast industry. They’re also useful for live events. The best deal I’ve found is this clock for $460. But recently I discovered an app for my iPhone and iPad that does the same thing for 99 cents. Check out the Timer On Fire app.
In the Princess Bride, our hero Iniga Montoya faced a big problem. The dread pirate Roberts, aka “Wesley”, whose help he desperately needed, was dead. So Inigo turned to the one guy who might have a solution, Miracle Max. When Inigo explained the problem, Max’s response was a dramatic shift in perspective (listen to the audio to hear the full story).
Whenever my wife and I are sending one another off to go tackle the day, we sometimes use the same words that Max gave the guys… “Have fun storming the castle!”
Miracle Max saw a completely different problem. But, you might say, that is a movie. What about real life? So here’s another example. I used to suffer from something commonly referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder. At least that is what I told myself. I even had a solution figured out – move! Only the weather wasn’t really my problem.
A key strategy to facing difficulties in life-whether those difficulties are with your physical health, your relationships, money, or anything else-is to realize the problem is never really about the problem.
“It’s never about the weather.” ~ Lynn Edwards
Depression and despair, or joy and happiness are a choice.
A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.
I do recognize that there are clinical conditions that cause depression and anxiety, as well as other mental disturbances. I am not suggesting that anyone for grow appropriate medical care. I am saying that God providesHealing, even in those situations.
Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:8-10
Feature Segment: The Unbeatable You
The key to being unbeatable is really rather simple: it’s understanding your identity and everything flows out of that. In fact, terms like “mission”, “vision”, and “purpose”Get thrown around carelessly as if they were synonymous with one another. They are not.
The key to being unbeatable is not that you never suffer a setback or problem. It’s that you have an effective strategy for snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat. In my view, there are three ingredients to achieving this:
1. Set up the game so you cannot lose.
2. Understand and be able to articulate your identity, purpose, mission, vision, values, and goals.
3. Decide in advance how you will handle adversity.
Set up the Game so You Cannot Lose
How is this even possible? You use the same approach Captain Kirk used when he faced the Kobayashi Maru simulation. You change the rules.
My rule that makes every scenario a no-lose scenario is:
There are no failures, there are only results.
But I do with the results is up to me.
Know Your “Big Reason Why”
It has been said that if you have a big enough “why”, you will always discover the answer to “how”.
Most people have nowhere near enough clarity about their own beliefs and values. And herein lies the key to being unbeatable. You need to understand, and be able to articulate the following: your identity, purpose, mission, vision, values, and goals. Let’s use my own answers as examples…
Identity. Who are you?
My answer: One who follows Jesus; a royal priest.
Purpose. Why are you here?
My answer: To bring about God’s will on earth, as it is in heaven.
Mission. What is your specific assignment? (Strategy)
My answer: Business for the Glory of God.
Vision. What does the accomplishment of your mission look like? (Tactics)
My answer: To teach and empower people to claim their own Divine Destiny and live a life of Freedom, Joy, and Love through Jesus Christ. We do this by providing quality services (including books, audio and visual programs, home study materials, speeches, seminars, trainings, coaching and consulting delivered with love, excellence and integrity in Christ).
Values. What qualities, characteristics, and states do you value most? (Compass)
A commitment to the following spiritual, ethical, and corporate values:
- Faithfulness to Jesus Christ.
- “His will, on earth as it is in Heaven”.
- With God all things are possible.
- Passion for our work, dedicated to the Lord.
- Love and acceptance of others and of ourselves.
- Christ-like responses to all situations, events and people.
- Truth and honesty in all things.
- Continued spiritual growth.
- Clarity of purpose and communication.
- Speaking only that which imparts Grace to the listener.
- Impeccability in our actions and the quality of our work.
- Continuous and never-ending improvement.
- Generosity of heart and spirit.
Goals. What are your specific objectives (both strategic and tactical), and what is your timeline for accomplishing them? State your goals in the positive/affirmative, present tense, connected to an emotion, and anchored to a date and time.
- I am enjoying the satisfaction of having added 100,000 new subscribers to our email list by 5pm, December 1, 2013.
- I am relishing the stress-free systematized business that permits me to work only 20 hours per week by 12 Noon, November 1, 2013.
- I am enjoying my healthy weight of 185 pounds, which I achieved on or before 9am October 1, 2013.
These should be articulated on paper. Take some time and write them out. Invest yourself in this process.
Decide in Advance How You Will Handle Adversity
This is a condensed summary of an entire podcast, from episode 007.
We cannot control what happens to us, but we can control how we respond – and what we believe about the setback.
Knowing how to face trials proactively is one of the top skills in business… and in life.
Here are 10 steps to transform setbacks into comebacks.
- See it for what it is.
- Remember God’s plan for you (Jer 29:11 and Romans 8:28)
- Ask good questions – questions that lead to helpful answers.
- Be careful what you think, see, and say.
- Notice what works; do more of that.
- Notice what doesn’t work; stop doing that.
- Live in the now. Avoid depression and anxiety.
- Move your body every day.
- Put good fuel in the machine.
- Fill your eyes with solutions.
Remember that pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. (Matthew 6:34)
We heard from lots of listeners this week.
Do you have an idea for a podcast you would like to hear? Do you have a question that you like to ask me? Please send me an email.