We hide. We're good at it. One of our best tricks is hiding from ourselves the ways in which we hide.
Once you are on to that game, however, it's pretty easy to uncover. Just ask yourself, “In what ways and my hiding?”
- We hide from our families by burying ourselves and work.
- We hide from our purpose in life by keeping ourselves too busy to think about what might fulfill us.
- We hide from the adventure of our life by watching other people's adventures on television.
My purpose is not to discourage you, nor to make you feel guilty or small in some way.
No, this is a wake-up call… permission to pursue your destiny. A call to come out of hiding, and start living the best version of your life right now. Today.
Here are three ways to stop hiding:
- Recognize where in your life you are “hiding”. What are the areas where you routinely deceive yourself? what stories are you telling yourself on a regular basis that actually harm you? hint: look for areas of your life that need improvement, but never seem to get better. No matter how hard you try.
- Begin to see things as they are, and then work to make them better. get honest with yourself and see your problems and puzzles as they actually are. Don't retreat into “positive fantasy”, and don't descend into self-indulgent negativism.
- Communicate courageously. Start saying what you mean, and meaning what you say. Don't be nasty about this. This is not permission to emulate Jim Carrey's character in the movie Liar, Liar. It is permission to begin courageously and lovingly communicating the truth to other human beings, instead of hiding behind lies, manipulation, and passive aggressive behavior.
The more we learn to stop hiding, the more we can become who we were meant to be.