One of the things that kinda gets under my skin is…
“BS Excuses” people use to explain why they can't do things.
Now I'm not saying we don't sometimes just have a tough go of it. We all do from time to time.
I'm talking about “loser's limp”… where you start limping early in the race, just so you can later explain why you lost.
Some language that is a sure tip-off you've wandered into the “Land of BS Excuses”…
– “there are just no jobs/clients/opportunities in this market/niche/city …” (that's funny. what are all those people doing on the freeway every day at 9am if they're not going to WORK? Or how do so many new businesses start every month if there are no clients?)
– “there's no room for the little guy in this company/ town/ industry” (people were spouting this SAME BS when Steve Jobs and his pal Woz started a little company named Apple Computer out of a garage… and it's just as much BS now as it was then…)
– “the government has killed this market / business / country” (the government interfering in business is not NEWS… it's part of doing business! And plenty of businesses make a profit despite that fact. Get over it!)
– “people are just not buying cars/ boats/ books/ airplanes/ swimming pools these days” (ummm…. BS! In fact, DOUBLE BS! They ARE buying all these things and more… and I've seen plenty of data showing the sale of LUXURY items are UP lately. Just because they're not buying from YOU does not mean they are not BUYING…)
– “long sales copy doesn't work any more” or “I can't write sales copy” (all you have to do is get a good course on the subject, like my own http://webcopywritingexplained.com , and it's just “follow the instructions” to copy that will sell your stuff for you)
Today's take-away: If you suspect that you even occasionally engage in any of this “BS Excuse” nonsense…
I hereby challenge you to Ten Days of Zero BS Excuse-Making.
Here's how to play: for the next 10 days just don't make a single BS excuse about anything in your life.
If you mess up on, say, Day 3… re-set the clock and start over at Day 1.
It may take you a while to get all the way to 10 days, I warn you.
But once you have, I can almost guarantee:
1. Your results in whatever it is you do will have improved (because you will have taken away your biggest impediment – your own EXCUSES)… and…
2. You will never want to go back to your old, excuse-making ways.
Are you in?
All the best,