Do you have a message you'd like to get out the world, and you wonder if it's possible to get paid for it? It is possible, and it does take work, but not as much as you might think.
And on today's episode I'm going to show you seven simple steps to monetizing your message. Also coming up…
- A travel app that I consider must-have.
- How to know who is a real follower of Jesus, and who is not.
- How to write blockbuster copy in 45 minutes.
- Now let's get on with it…
- Thanks to all who have left a review of the podcast in iTunes. I'm going to start publicly acknowledging those who have done so, if I can identify you (sometimes the usernames in iTunes make that difficult.) This week I would like to thank: Doug 9999, Tom Page, Joe Taylor, Walter G, Wesley Wiley, ChurchBoy 77, “frequent listener”.
- Every person who submits an audio question for the podcast will receive a free gift (if, and only if, we use your question on the podcast). Click here to submit your audio question.
- Meanwhile, if you would be interested in the possible one-day mastermind with me and 11 other people, where we make radical progress in your business… And if you're not just “interested” but you already know you want to do it, fill in this form. If it looks like you would be a good fit, I will call you myself. (If you just want the “details”, listen to the podcast. I explain all the “details”.)
Conferences where I will be attending and/or speaking:
- NAMS 11 February 7-9, 2014, Atlanta, GA
- Social Media Marketing World, March 26-28, 2014, San Diego, CA
- The Launch Conference, April 7-10, 2014, Orlando, FL
- JV Alert: The Perfect Game April 24-27, Denver, CO
- SCORRE Conference May 5-8, Orlando, FL
Tip Of The Week
My top must-have travel app, Tripit. There are lots of travel apps available, and I have tried most of them. But this one is the hands-down winner that I was willing to pay money for. Here are three reasons why I really love this app:
- No more cutting and pasting. Automatically create itineraries by forwarding confirmation emails to a special email address.
- Custom itineraries. Add maps and directions, travel notes, photos, recommendations and more.
- Easy access, 24/7. Access your itinerary any time online, via mobile device, calendar feeds or social sites.
- Sharing. Share itineraries with family, friends, and co-workers to keep them in the know and connect with them on the road.
- Mobile alerts. Get mobile alerts or emails about flight delays, cancellations, and gate changes.
Do you want to know the magic formula for writing copy that sells? Me too. The fact is, there is no such formula. There are frameworks, and I teach those. What's more, I use them. But the truth is the best copy comes from inspiration and creativity. Where do those things come from? That is the subject of this week's Copywriting Corner. John Cleese has famously said he doesn't know where great ideas come from, but he's certain they don't come from our laptops. I believe it's important to be open to, and fill up on, stimulating, exciting, interesting, moving, and varied experiences. To live life. To give your brain a chance to get away from your projects, so it can do your work. My best copy has never come from following a template or formula. It is come from a flurry of white hot inspired ideation. Yours can too. In the audio version of this show, I expand a bit on these concepts, but for the benefit of you text a files, here are some tips
- Give yourself plenty of creative input for your brain to work with (TV, movies, real world experiences, books, and especially things that are outside your normal range of experience.)
- Carry a notebook and a pen!
- When one of those lightning strike idea moments happens, stop everything else and capture the inspiration in what I call “the vomit draft”.
How do we know who's a true follower of Jesus? Well, first of all, there is no “litmus test” they can tell us for sure if another person is “saved” or not. Only the Holy Spirit himself knows that for sure. So how do we know, with all the various opinions and doctrines and expressions of Christianity, who the true followers of Christ really are? I think Jesus himself gave us the answer. He said:
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Feature Segment: How To Monetize Your Message
By far, the most frequent question I am asked is some variation of, “Ray, how do I start a business of my own on the Internet? Can I really make enough money to get by? Or is it just a scam?”
It definitely is not a scam. I know plenty of people who have made this transition. Of course some of them are quite well known, and have been clients of mine. Some are my friends, and I've been privileged to know a few who are household names. But more impressive, I think, are the people you may have never heard of who have done exactly this. People who do things as varied as teaching massage therapists how to run a business, or teaching how to grow your own medicinal herbs, or unique brand of artful photography, or even dog training… It is definitely possible to take your knowledge and experience, what you already know, in turn that into money.
In fact, I'm teaching a brand-new webinar on this very subject tomorrow night (Thursday, January 30, 2014.) You can register for that webinar by clicking here. It's free.
Meanwhile, here are seven simple steps that will help you move closer to learning how to monetize your message.
- First, you must decide that it's okay to actually do this.
- Identify your “tribe”.
- Hone your message.
- Package your message properly.
- Promote your message.
- Profit from your message.
- Ask, “what's next?”
We are at a significant point in history, unique and exciting. Every person is a media company if they want to be. For less than $100, you can have your own mini media empire. So the question is no longer access to distribution. The question is what will you do with it?
Barak: How do you grow your audience?
Corbin Links: How do you overcome a bad book review on an influential site?
Dan Tredo: How do you overcome technical problems when building information business?
Todd Liles: Where do you find good Infusionsoft campaign templates?
What To Do Now
If you enjoy the podcast, I would consider it a great favor if you subscribe (and leave a review) in iTunes. This helps new people discover the show. You can also find the podcast on Stitcher.
Question: What are your big questions about how to monetize your message? Click here to leave your comments.