We just returned from Social Media Marketing World 2016, and this episode is filled with our impressions, some takeaways, and tips.
We get into what you can do to make any conference trip better, and how to get the most from your conference dollars.
- How to be happy, regardless of what happens.
- How to turn your phone into walkie-talkie.
- …and flair!
Don't Get Attached to Outcomes
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
– James 4:13-16
Verse 17 says: “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.”
I think this is saying: we should just be looking for ways to help. Make plans, but don't obsess over things going exactly your way every time. There may be more important opportunities at work than you can currently see.
Tip of the Week
With Voxer you can:
- Turn your phone into a walkie-talkie.
- Talk, send text and photos — send live or recorded voice, text messages and photos instantly—to one person or an entire group.
- Listen live or listen later — Listen ‘live’ while someone is speaking and respond immediately or listen later and reply when it’s convenient.
- Use any network, globally — Voxer works on any cellular or Wifi network around the world.
Feature Segment: Top 10 Takeaways & Tips From Social Media Marketing World 2016 Conference
Or, How to Get the Most From Your Next Conference
- Live video is hot.
- You are not Gary V.
- Traditional Media outlets (radio, TV, magazines) are now looking for people with Platforms. You should build one.
- Yes, Social Media does work “in your business”… whatever your business is.
- Arrive at conferences a day early, and leave a day late.
- Hydrate. Avoid alcohol, sugar, and heavy meals.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Learn to take care of your voice,
- Learn to take care of your feet.
- Build in space for processing, pondering, and pacing.
- Don't be “super-networker guy”. Just care about people and make friends.
Share the Love
Subscribe to the show in iTunes and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will definitely mention you on this show.
We are also on Stitcher.com, so if you prefer Stitcher, please subscribe there.
Get The Transcript
Click here to get the transcript now (COMING SOON). Transcripts provided by SuccessTranscripts – a great solution if you need your podcast, sermon, speech, or other audio transcribed.