You know you need great copy to sell your stuff, and you’re thinking of hiring a copywriter, but how can you make sure you don’t get ripped off?
In this episode we’ll show you how to successfully navigate these waters and arrive safely on the shores of copywriting bliss.
Are facing challenges in your life right now? I have excellent news for you.
No matter what is happening in your life, God is completely on your side! That, my friends, is called the Divine Advantage.
In Romans [8:31] God says, “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
No matter what life throws at you, take courage because you’re on the winning side!
Tip Of The Week
If you use a Mac user and you’re a productivity geek I highly recommend you get the most out of your Apple technology by checking out the Mac Power Users Podcast with David Sparks and Katie Floyd.
In addition, David Sparks has his own blog called MacSparky.com where he has created free screencasts that show you how to get the most out of your productivity apps.
He also has a series of Field Guides you can purchase on a variety of subjects that will make you want to hug your Mac. Prepare to feel the Apple love.
Feature Segment: “10 Commandments of Hiring a Copywriter”
Maybe you’ve tried to hire a copywriter in the past, but you had a bad experience with The 7 Deadly Copywriter Sins:
- The copy was just plain bad (too hypey, too weak, or “info-only”)
- The copy sounded like everyone else (the Sea of Sameness, Mired in the Muck of Mediocrity)
- Your copywriter took the money and ran
- Your copywriter never communicated with you…ever.
- The copy was late.
- They never asked for your feedback, so the final product was miles off target.
- They Found You, Fooled You, and Forgot You
You’d like to hire a pro, but you can’t afford the fees of an “A-List Copywriter” (Ray’s current minimum is $250,000 up-front, plus a percentage of sales, for a “Private Client Launch Package”.) Yikes!
You’re frustrated because it seems like the biggest “X-Factor” in your product launch is the copy, and you are afraid neither you nor your team is good enough to get it right.
The 10 Commandments of Hiring a Copywriter
i. Scope: Thy copywriter shalt help you determine exactly what type of copy you’ll need, and how much copy you’ll need to bring you the results you seek.
ii. Voice: Thy copywriter shalt spend time with you and your material to learn your unique voice, and then infuse that voice into your copy. Your voice is what differentiates you from the crowd.
iii. Deadline: Thy copywriter shalt deliver your copy on time…every time. If he doth not, woe unto them, and they shalt be cast into outer darkness.
iv. Milestones: Thy copywriter shalt set up mile markers along the way during your project so that you can be consistently confident that your project is receiving the loving care it deserves.
v. Communication: Thy copywriter shalt check in with you throughout the process to get your input and make absolutely certain that you’re thrilled with the hand-crafted copy thou receiveth.
vi. Revisions: Thy copywriter shalt continue to work with you until thou art thrilled.
vii. Proofreading: Thy copywriter shalt have thy copy proofread, and ensure the text is error-fee.
viii. Review: Thy copywriter shalt put thy copy under the watchful eye of a mentor or other senior copywriter.
ix. Results: Thy copywriter shalt have a track record of results.
x. Followup: Thy copywriter shalt NOT just hand off your project and wish you luck. Thy copywriter shalt be there if things go sideways ready to swoop in and save the day!
And…you guessed it…here are some snippets from our conversation:
- Oops I did it again ([8:03])
- The Stepford Copywriter ([8:40])
- Visit your money in Mexico ([9:28])
- Can you hear me now? ([9:44])
- Don’t be tardy for the party ([10:50])
- Have we met? ([11:46])
- Avoid the One Night Stand ([12:11])
- Have map…will travel ([13:31])
- Hire a chameleon ([13:55])
- Better bring a flashlight ([14:37])
- Give your copy a hug ([15:15])
- Artisan copywriting ([16:41])
- The value of sweat equity ([17:46])
- That copy sure is pretty ([18:58])
- Four eyes are better than two ([19:57])
- Win…and win often ([20:54])
- Copywriting Superhero! ([21:25])
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
How To Help
Subscribe to the show through iTunes and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show. PLEASE USE THE APPLE PODCAST APP!