Are you looking for a way to grow your tribe and build a business around your passion? Have you ever considered starting a podcast, but your concerns about the expense, the work, and the commitment it takes to start and maintain a successful podcast make you wonder if it’s worth it? Will this still work, or has podcasting had its day?
In this interview, we probe the mind of The Podcast Answer Man, Cliff Ravenscraft. He has helped launch some of the most successful podcasters – including Michael Hyatt, Dan Miller, John Lee Dumas, Amy Porterfield, Pat Flynn… and yes, Ray Edwards. Together we’ll uncover whether podcasting is the right move for you and your business.
Feature Presentation: “Build a Business Around a Podcast: An Interview with Cliff Ravenscraft“
In this animated conversation, Cliff shares the story of how he came to be The Podcast Answer Man. We also get into why he believes almost anyone can start a podcast around something they love… and build a business from that foundation.
Cliff Ravenscraft is first and foremost a podcast producer who has produced more than 30 of his own podcast shows with over 3,600 of his very own podcast episodes devoted to Business, Technology, Entertainment, Family, and Faith.
In December 2006, Cliff launched PodcastAnswerMan.com where he has since helped tens of thousands of individuals and organizations successfully launch a podcast through: one-on-one coaching, his Podcasting A to Z online group coaching course, and his digital training tutorials.
If you were to look at the top 100 podcasts in the business category of iTunes, more than 50 of these shows were created by clients who worked with Cliff. The man knows what he is talking about.
Here are some snippets from our conversation…
- Why some people will spend dozens of hours listening to every word you say (and what that means to you). ([2:57])
- Why podcasting is an unparalleled method for exerting influence and building your business. ([4:28])
- How a pursuing you passion can be the foundation of a business – even if your passion is watching TV. ([6:45])
- To get a “lift” from the “Big Boys’, you have to be in the right place at the right time ([8:58])
- How to make the “podcast pivot”, and go from passion to profit ([12:54])
- Your podcast content can give your listeners the power to become the “King or Queen of the Water Cooler” ([17:01])
- How Kim’s Email opened Cliff’s mind, and helped him take his first step into a larger world. ([18:28])
- Bad Christian! How a prophet is not without honor except in his hometown. ([20:57])
- How spiritual manipulation led to a positive change for the Ravenscraft clan ([25:56])
- The day Cliff quit podcasting, and the deep dark hole he got sucked into as a result ([27:51])
- How to know when it’s time to take stand, and the freedom it can lead to. ([29:39])
- How a podcast becomes a business – pay attention to what people are asking you for. ([32:57])
- Do what you love for a living is more than just a bumper sticker – here’s how to make it work. ([35:55])
- Why work is indeed “happy wonderful fun time” – and why garbage collectors are not millionaires. ([36:56])
- A powerful thought experiment that can help you find your “calling” ([38:26])
- The Entrepreneurial Awakening, and how to experience it yourself. ([40:45])
- The very bad, horrible day that wore Cliff down. What his wife said that changed his life. ([41:54])
- The difficult conversation that wasn’t – the moment Cliff “came to life.” ([43:20])
- Here’s what selling really means – and how most people get it wrong ([47:22])
- Don’t despise the day of small beginnings – what Cliff’s first year in business looked like ([50:06])
- Timing + Positioning + Hard Work = Luck – How to set-up your brand for success ([51:50])
- How to become the go-to authority for your listeners – it’s easier than you think! ([54:09])
- How demonstrating your value can put getting new customers on autopilot ([56:46])
- The quick self-test that will let you know if podcasting is right for you ([58:31])
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- The Podcast Answer Man
- Podcasting A to Z
- Podcasting Digital Tutorials
- The Lost Podcast
- Podcast Answer Man 500th Episode Extravaganza
- Cliff Ravenscraft’s Free Best of the Best Newsletter
How To Help
Subscribe to the show through Apple Podcasts and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show.