As entrepreneurs, we have one mandate…get as rich as possible. How did you react when you read that? Did it make you feel uncomfortable and even a little squeamish?
Money is not a “zero sum game” (meaning in order for me to win you have to lose) – it is quite the opposite. Money is infinite, a representation of the wealth created by entrepreneurs, tradesmen, and investors.
So if money is infinite, why don't you have more?
That's part of the fabric of my discussion with Perry Marshall on today's show. Perry is one of the most expensive and sought-after business consultants in the world. I think you'll enjoy the conversation.
Click here to download or listen to this episode now.
The Bible often uses the natural world to teach us lessons about how to live an abundant life. A perfect example of this is found in Proverbs 6: 6-11…
Go to the ant, you sluggard!
Consider her ways and be wise,
Which, having no captain,
Overseer or ruler,
Provides her supplies in the summer,
And gathers her food in the harvest.
How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to sleep—
So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler,
And your need like an armed man.
As entrepreneurs, we’re like the ant. We have no boss to force us to do what’s necessary. Either we do it, or it doesn’t get done.
Now go forth and prosper!
Tip of the Week
Imagine me mentoring you each and every month. What would that make possible for you?
We would start with an intensive training about how to get your online marketing system set up and running, no matter what type of business you own. Then, each month, we would do a live video training session where you could ask me any question you like.
Each month I would sit down and write you a 12-page memo about what to do, and then I would deliver a proven marketing campaign you could copy and use in your business.
We’ll be opening the doors to this new, group coaching/mentoring/training program in the near future. If you would like more information, go immediately to rayedwards.com/reic to get on the VIP notification list.
Feature Presentation: “Optimizing for Picnics”
Perry Marshall is one of the world’s most expensive and sought-after business consultants. Clients seek him out for his ability to integrate engineering, sales, art, and psychology.
He has launched two movements in modern marketing. His Google Adwords books laid the foundation for the $100 billion Pay-Per-Click industry, and techniques he pioneered are still standard best practices.
Perry wrote the world’s best-selling book on web advertising, Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords. More recently, he’s turned “80/20” into a verb. His book 80/20 Sales and Marketing is mandatory reading in many growing companies, and his books are course material in several business schools.
Here are some snippets from our conversation:
- The Universal Law of Cause and Effect – How to work less and make more ([19:34])
- The world is skewed – Why this is the best time ever to become a serial entrepreneur ([20:47])
- Everything is connected – Why 20th century thinking will strand you on the Island of Misfit Toys ([23:59])
- Optimized for picnics – What ants can teach us about business ([27:53])
- Upsetting the corporate apple cart – Why Dilbert thinking is so destructive, and what to do about it ([29:15])
- Arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic – How your business myopia is causing missed opportunities for massive growth ([32:20])
- Extreme Inequality – How 80/20 is running your life whether you know it or not ([34:15])
- The frictionless internet – The speed of your business is entirely dependent on the speed of your platform ([36:41])
- The rise of the business state – Why Instagram is more powerful than 100 countries in the world ([37:59])
- The center is the edge – How mastering principles the key to your leap forward ([38:58])
- Better than Bruce Lee – Why specific focus is the key to competing with the masters ([40:11])
- Look for the levers – The secret of turning a little input into a whole lot of output ([41:44])
- How to create an addict – Why Minecraft is fifty-two times more effective a creating addition than alcohol ([44:05])
- The Swiss Connection – Learn why Perry recommends deleting all your social media apps from your phone ([45:47])
- The Tsunami Effect – Why one person’s catastrophe is another person’s opportunity ([49:40])
- The six-year old marketer – What Perry’s daughter taught him about what we really sell ([50:35])
- Polishing turds – Why the standard eight hour work day is a joke ([53:05])
- The Star Principle – How to spot opportunity and how it can make you rich ([1:01:19])
- Islands of profit in a sea of red ink – How to determine which of your customers are costing you money ([1:04:13])
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- The Bible
- The Science of Success: The Secret to Getting What You Want by Wallace Wattles
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be by Paul Arden
- Perry Marshall
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More by Perry Marshall
- Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords by Perry Marshall
- The 80/20 Summit
How To Help
Subscribe to the show through Apple Podcasts and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show.
Get The Transcript
Right-Click and “Save As” to Get the PDF Transcript.
“The best way to help the poor is first not to be one of them, and second to become as rich as you possibly can.” – Ray Edwards