NOTE: The title of today's episode is the work of Ben Settle, who promptly smacked my wrist for grabbing one of his old subject lines – and rightfully so. Ben is a friend – but we don't steal from our enemies. We certainly don't steal from our friends! So sorry, el Benbo. The slight was not intentional, but that
The week we were recording this we were heading to San Diego for one of the best conferences in the online marketing industry, Social Media Marketing World. Sean and were all excited for another reason. The city of San Diego now has Lime Scooters which make enjoying a downtown area so much more fun!
We start this week’s episode talking about…
- (1:09) Why Tiffany thinks Sean needs a date and how she plans to make this happen.
- (3:15) Why Social Media Marketing World is such a great conference and how it helps you avoid the crooks and scumbags of internet marketing.
- (9:13) Why Jesus encouraged his followers to be like snakes, even though snakes are usually compared to Satan.
We also discuss…
- (13:40) The three reasons why most companies have what Ben Settle (at BenSettle.com) calls “phantom pooping prospects” and what you can do to help these customers feel calm and confident when it’s time to buy.
- (18:42) Sean’s journey in applying Seth Godin’s most exciting recent teaching… “People like us do things like this” … to the Revel77 Coffee Shop.
- (45:10) My answers to more of Tiffany’s embarrassing questions about things like sacrificing your organs, deciding whether to travel to the past or the future if time travel was a real possibility and why you might consider avoiding the shower for a month.
Ray’s Tip of the Week:
- (7:41) This new duo of apps is helping our team be more consistent and classy with our Instagram Stories.
- (8:10) Why the free templates for this app kind of suck and what to get instead.
- (9:25) The New Testament verse that urges you to be like a snake and how it can save your business.
- (11:59) Why the common idea that Jesus was always meek and gentle is completely wrong and why the Lamb of God suggested we take a leaf out of the Serpent's playbook.
- (13:40) Why many of your company’s prospects are like dogs sniffing around for the perfect place to poop. They circle, they look like their going to do the deed, and then they move on to another spot asking themselves, “is this the perfect spot for me?”
- (15:22) What business owners need to learn about their “phantom pooping prospects.” This lesson can help even the most constipated buyers feel safe and comfortable enough to make a smooth move into your business.
- (15:40) The three mistakes most businesses make with their “phantom pooping prospects.” Each of these mistakes is easy to fix. All it takes is a little empathy.
- (18:42) The live “consulting call” that shows you how to apply master-marketer Seth Godin’s revolutionary teachings to your brick and mortar business. As Sean takes the conversation into an extended tangent about the running of Revel77 Coffee Shop, you’ll discover the high-level psychological reasons for making certain judgment calls in your business and how they can either help or hinder your marketing success.
- (30:20) Why simple questions like “who is your perfect customer” and “what’s the real problem you’re solving” can fix even the most complicated decisions in your company culture. Even the challenges of creating a unique atmosphere and being different than others in your market all come down to these basic questions.
- (37:55) Why something as simple as “punch cards” in your store can spoil your company’s image and put you out of business. Even the dilemma caused by giving your customers what they want and seeking uniqueness in your market teaches you something important about your phantom pooping prospects, what kind of dogs they are, and how best to serve them.
Tiffany asks embarrassing questions:
- (45:10) What was one of the most difficult things you’ve had to overcome, apart from the physical challenges you have with Parkinson's disease? How a submarine commander played by Matthew McConaughey can help everyone overcome the scariest unknowns in life.
- (47:27) Would you rather sell one of your possessions or one of your organs? And if it’s an organ, which one?
- (48:40) Would you rather give up bathing for a month? Or the internet?
- (49:26) Would you rather have hands that kept growing as you got older or feet that kept growing as you got older?
- (50:15) Would you rather be transmitted permanently 500 years into the future or 500 years into the past?
This episode of the Ray Edwards podcast is being brought to you by the Ray Edwards Certified Copywriter Training.
This is your opportunity to become a professional copywriter. Or if you already are one, to expand your reach and credibility by becoming certified by one of the most sought after most acclaimed copywriters in the online direct response marketing field. And it feels a little weird to say this, but that would be me, Ray Edwards.
I would love to work with you and help you get certified as a copywriter that we can recommend and put our endorsement and stamp on and say, “this is a person you could hire to write copy.”
If you want more information about the certified copywriter program, simply go to RayEdwards.com/training.
This episode of the Ray Edwards podcast is brought to you by, the book, How To Write Copy That Sells: The Step-by-Step System for More Sales, to More Customers, More Often. This is the definitive summation of my best knowledge and ideas about writing copy that sells without sounding or feeling salesy or pushy.
Right now you can get a copy of my book absolutely free. All we ask is that you help out with the shipping, $7 anywhere in the world. Right now, while it’s on your mind, go to RayEdwards.com/freebook to request your copy today. I know it will help you sell more of whatever it is you sell. That’s RayEdwards.com/freebook.
Subscribe to the show through Apple Podcasts and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show.