You have customers but they are cheap, complain a lot, and are a pain to deal with. If they aren’t controlled, corralled, and completely ejected they can eat your time, your cash flow, and your business alive.
This week we’re going to show you how to fix that problem and prevent it from ever happening again…so you only deal with cool people that you like.
Click here to download or listen to this episode now.
Is there a scriptural foundation for only working with good clients who appreciate your work and pay you what you’re worth?
I’m so glad you asked. Check this out:
“You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” 1 Timothy 5:18 (NKJV)
In this week’s episode Sean and I give you some additional insight on this verse that I think you’ll find valuable.
Tip of the Week
This week’s tip is the wonderful and magnificent service known as Amazon Subscribe & Save.
You can set up regularly scheduled deliveries and earn savings on everything from diapers to toothpaste to dog treats…literally thousands of everyday products from Amazon and Amazon Marketplace.
My ambition in life is to never run another errand again, and this service may just make that possible.
Feature Presentation: How Do I Attract Better Customers?
A 10-Step Plan That Works
I finally got relief from my dire situation when I fired the clients who were the big trouble-makers and got really clear about who I WANTED to work with. You can do this too, by simply following this 10-step plan:
- Set the Criteria for Being a “Good” Client. Define the qualities of your ideal customer. Be on the lookout for these unicorns.
- Set the Criteria for Being a “Bad” Client. Define the qualities that make you miserable or stressed with clients. Swear that you will never take another client, nor keep a client, who has ANY of these qualities,
- Purge the Scourge. Examine your existing client base and get rid of any stinkers.
- Preach the “Good Client Gospel.” Publish your “Do’s and Don’ts” clearly, frequently and boldly.
- Develop a “Bad Client Mythology.” Tell client horror stories and make them part of your Company Mythology – so your prospective clients know how you identify “bad apples” – and let them know what happens to bad apples.
- Develop a keen sense of discernment about people. Every time I have taken on a bad client, I always had a nagging feeling deep inside that I had ignored. Trust your sensors.
- Make them work for it. If they really want to work with you, make them prove it. Put some hurdles in place. Weed out the clients who ignore, break, or try to circumvent the rules of being accepted as your client.
- Be Expensive. While his alone can be a good filter, it is not 100% effective. There are some nasty, needy, broken, and/or crazy people who have lots of money.
- Listen to Your Team.
- Be completely unreasonable. While it will help you screen out the “problem children,” it will also cause the Good Clients to want you even more.
And…you guessed it…some snippets from our conversation:
- For vegetarians only (9:10)
- Sean “sparkly” rant (9:35)
- The Force is strong with this one (12:15)
- Ray & Sean tackle The Great Unicorn Debate (12:27)
- Are you willing to take the oath? (13:23)
- The Bad Client Story (14:03)
- Make it known throughout the land (15:24)
- Only gather ripe apples (16:21)
- Trust your gut, not your wallet (17:13)
- The Edwin Moses Strategy (18:37)
- Be a Rolex, not a Timex (19:22)
- Trust your team (20:42)
- Take a look in the mirror (21:39)
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
How To Help
Subscribe to the show through iTunes and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show. PLEASE USE THE APPLE PODCAST APP!
Get The Transcript
Right-Click and “Save As” to Get the PDF Transcript.